Android 15 - Cannot set default password app

tngvmd
Level 1.5: Cupcake

We use Microsoft Intune to manage devices. For the devices which have upgraded to Android 15, the end users can no longer select Microsoft Authenticator as their default application for auto filling passwords. I cannot find any settings in Intune to allow it. All devices are fully managed corporate owned devices. The devices are all Google Pixel 8 or 8a devices. 

Is this a bug in 15 or am I missing something?

Screenshot_20241017-104651.png

5 REPLIES 5

HalvorsonD

I have the same problem, looking for a solution. 

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello @tngvmd and @HalvorsonD,

Lovely to meet you. Thanks so much for highlighting this. 

I've fed this back to our team to investigate a little more, I'll keep you updated when I have more information. Have you also raised this via Intune? 

Thanks again, speak soon.

Lizzie

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

jasonbayton
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

I'm looking into this. Android 15 added new functionality for credentialmanager - 

Screenshot 2024-10-22 at 09.13.02.png

Not directly related to your issue. You're seeing a work policy block, suggesting there's a policy default at play perhaps.

This applies for 14 and above:  CredentialProviderPolicyDefault and gives me the same behaviour you're seeing when it's unconfigured or blocked. Can you verify this config in Intune? 

tngvmd

@Lizzie - I have not raised this with Intune. I am not certain how to do that, but will see what I can figure out. I have done A LOT of experimentation, and the issue is limited to Android 15. I have done the following:

1 - There are only two configured items that apply to the phones. One is a device compliance policy that sets requirements for the lock screen. The other is the device restriction policy. I deleted both completely and reset a phone twice. The first time I re-enrolled it as a personal device with work profile. The personal section worked fine. The ability to set the password service in the work profile was still blocked despite no policies being applied. I then reset the phone and reenrolled it as a corporate owned fully managed device and still had the same outcome despite the device compliance and device configuration policies having been deleted and therefore not having been applied. 

2 - The second thing that I did that makes it very clear that this is an issue that is specific to 15 and Intune is the following. I took a Pixel 7a running Android 14 while my device configuration and device compliance settings were deleted. I factory reset it while on 14 and re-joined it as a fully managed corporate owned device. Everything worked fine. I set Authenticator to be the password provider. I updated the phone to 15. The phone went back to not having a password provider and the setting being blocked. 

After doing this, I recreated my device config and device compliance policies from scratch to make certain that I did not find any new settings. There were no new settings and nothing changed on the devices with regards to this issue once the policies were reapplied. 

I looked for the setting that @jasonbayton mentioned above and cannot find it. I am wondering if there is some issue with Intune and their handling of this setting in 15.

Thanks,

Tom

tngvmd

I have now also posted this in the Microsoft Intune community. A link to that is here. I will post back if a solution is found on that side. 

Android 15 - CredentialProviderPolicy not surfaced by Intune - Microsoft Community Hub