Assistance Needed: Fetching IMEI Number Programmatically in Android

DeepakChauhan
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Dear Android Community,

I am currently working on an Android application where I need to fetch the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number programmatically. However, I am facing some challenges in implementing this functionality, especially with regards to the latest Android versions and privacy considerations.

I am reaching out to seek your expertise and guidance on the best practices to fetch the IMEI number in compliance with the Android security standards. I want to ensure that my application adheres to all the necessary permissions and privacy policies to access this sensitive information.

If you have any relevant resources, code examples, or tips on how to retrieve the IMEI number programmatically in Android, I would be extremely grateful for your support.

5 REPLIES 5

DeepakChauhan

Hi,
Can i have an update on my raised query?

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello @DeepakChauhan,

Great to speak with you again.

As of Android 10 it is no longer possible for an application to poll for the IMEI of a device (you can read more about this here).

As I mentioned in your other discussion, is there a particular reason why you need to capture this information? (that you can share publicly of course), as there might be another way to achieve what you need. We can try and help you. 

Thanks, speak to you soon.

Lizzie

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

Hi Lizzie,

Good to connect you again,

The  particular reason for capture this information is mentioned below:

This is because some data is sensitive which we are going to show to the user on the mobile app. Only genuine users can access sensitive data. One person's data cannot be accessed by others. So that's the kind of protection we want to implement.

If someone uses a different device, we will be able to notify him that you have changed your device or SIM.

IMSI and IMEI are static and do not change by resetting the phone.

So we are expecting this while making the sensitive data more secure.

Hope you can help us and provide a solution for the same.

Thanks.

DeepakChauhan

Hi Lizzie

Any update on my raised concern??

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello @DeepakChauhan,

Thanks for the extra context. There are a couple of things here:

1. Regarding managing your devices if you don't already use an EMM (Enterprise Mobility Management) you could explore this as I think this will help you to understand the status of your devices. I know I asked you this question on your other topic, so if you already have an EMM to help you manage your devices I would contact them directly to explain your use case.

2. Here is a useful overview of best practices for device identifiers which might help you workout what is possible, working within the privacy requirements.

I hope this helps and do let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Lizzie

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.