System updates behaving differently on Pixel and Samsung devices.

Prathik
Level 2.0: Eclair

Hi, I'm trying to get some explanation on why the system updates is behaving differently on Pixel and Samsung devices. The System update Type is set to "AUTOMATIC"  in the Android Management Policy.

On Google Pixel : the screen says "System software update of this device is controlled by your organization" and doesn't allow the user to manually update as well. It eventually updates to latest SPL but this is causing new corporate device enrollment a ~2hr delay to get the latest SPL and therefore delay in setup of some of the apps that have strict Security patch level requirement.

On Samsung : The screen is not blocked and the user can manually update, but in case the user doesn't manully update the automatic update never happens.
Curious on what is the reason for this behavior.

IMG_20240418_155820.jpg

3 REPLIES 3

jasonbayton
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Hey @Prathik 

Samsung and Google use two different OTA systems, two different on-device update services (interfacing the same underlying system update APIs), and so behaviour between them can vary. You'll potentially notice differing behaviour with other non-GOTA OEMs also; Lenovo is a good example.

To the latter point, under what circumstance and how long are you waiting for Samsungs to reboot themselves? 

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

@Prathik: For me it sounds like the setting on the Samsung hasn't taken place and because of this the automatic update is not working.

I recommend to check this for the Samsung.

Another way to set this (somehow) ona Samsung device is using the KSP (Knox Service Plugin = their OemConfig app). Here the relevant example of the managed app config in it:

Moombas_1-1713506720839.png

Alex_Muc
Level 2.0: Eclair

Do the devices regularly connect to a WLAN? I have not tested it explicitly, but Samsung devices may not automatically download the OTA updates in the mobile network, even if the updates are forced.