What is generated when creating a new managed google play web app?

Kris-Bulté
Level 1.5: Cupcake

In the managed Google Play store, you have 3 different application types:

1. Managed Google Play store app
  2. Managed Google Play private app
  3. Managed Google Play web app

The managed Google Play web app generates an APK that is listed after a couple of minutes between your other native apps. When using it from an end user perspective it opens in Chrome.

Anybody knows what exactly is used behind the scenes. I searched the docs but could not find any info.

Is a Trusted Web Activity generated behind the scenes?

What about lifecycle management of the shell, does Google the housekeeping for me to target new android versions for the shell or do I have to generate a new APK?

2 REPLIES 2

mattdermody
Level 2.0: Eclair

It's effectively like a website pinned to the home screen that is configured to launch in a WebView of sorts. I don't think it creates a custom APK, I think it creates a custom link that looks like an app that opens a browser view to your configured website when launched. In that sense the app powering this experience is maintained by Google and auto-updated from Google Play.

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

It'S mostlikely a dedicaded Chrome Tab. And as long as you update Chrome and Webview i guess you shouldn't need to care about it getting incompatible but issues can still happen so be aware on every new (OS) version.