Automatic system updates with mobile data

panosjuan
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Hello everyone! 

I am running into an issue, I need to update the Android versions in my device fleet, currently we work with Android 11, 12 and 13, and would like to upgrade all devices to Android 14.

Due to our use case, our devices (SM-T225) only utilize SIM data, and we require this update to roll out without user interaction.

Our current EMM offers the options:

* automatic system updates

* windowed system updates

* postpone installation

* disable installation

However, all options cause the user to be shown a pop-up for the download of the system update, after which it succesfully installs automatically.

Is there any way to automatically install system updates with mobile data without user input (Just as if devices were connected to WiFi)

Thank you for your help,

Juan

7 REPLIES 7

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello @panosjuan,

Great to meet you, thanks for your question.

Can I just clarify, when you say pop-up is this something a user would need to press to start the update? Or more of a notification that the update is taking place?

As I understand it, with 'Automatic' and 'Windowed' the user shouldn't need to take any action. 

It would be great to see a screenshot of the pop-up you are receiving if you are able to share. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

panosjuan

Hello Lizzie! 

Thanks for your reply. By pop-up I mean the user is prompted with a full screen system update description, and they can press the Download button.

The issue is, when connected to wifi, the device performs background download and automatic installation, however since my devices will never be connected to wifi I need this download to also happen in the background but using mobile data.

Please find a screenshot below of the obtained behaviour (Here the button displays Pausa/Paused, but the initial text is download, upon which the system update begins downloading):

panosjuan_0-1729158808700.png

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Thanks again for sharing this @panosjuan. Very interesting.

My understanding is that if you are using 'Automatic' updates that there shouldn't be a need for a user to action this, even using mobile data. I wonder would you mind opening a ticket on this via your EMM to see if they can deep dive a little more? 

It would be great if you could keep me posted. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

panosjuan

Hey Lizzie, again thanks for your reply.

I came here after opening a long ticket with my EMM, their final conclusion was:

Regrettably, the EMM does not provide an option to configure the network type for downloading the Android OS update. It operates solely on the default setting of WiFi only. In the absence of WiFi, it is anticipated that a notification regarding the availability of the OS update will be displayed. Therefore, I must inform you that utilizing only mobile data may not allow for the OS update unless it is manually initiated.

I guess my question is, is this an issue where the Android API does not allow for automatic system updates with mobile data or is the issue that my EMM has not "integrated" this option?

Do you know of any additional forums/contacts which may help me? 

Thank you,

Juan

Michel
Level 2.2: Froyo

What is your current MDM? 

I believe your only option might be to start using Knox E-FOTA (single license or as part of the Knox Suite, can be a 1,2 or 3 year license or a monthly based license). In there you can set priorities on what connection should be used and when:

Michel_0-1729262287676.png

You could also control when an update is executed, wether or not a user can delay it and by how long and how many times it can be delayed. (max 3 times). It also gives you the option to let all devices update to the latest version according to set parameters, giving you some peace of mind that it is all handled without you needing to push these updates again as you are doing now. 

The default update options in most MDM solutions do not offer an option to update over mobile connecting, and the Knox service plugin does not either so that won't help you with most EMM's. I'm not sure if there is even an API for Android for this but Samsung has it as shown above. 

panosjuan

Hello Michel, thanks for your reply, it is very insightful!

Unfortunately, due to company policy I cannot disclose the MDM we are utilizing.

Do you know if Knox E-FOTA is compatible with other MDM providers? It is currently not feasible to switch our MDM provider but having this feature would be extremely useful for us.

Another question is, if Knox E-FOTA is able to provide this functionality, shouldn't other MDMs be able to integrate it as well?

Thank you and best regards,

Juan

Michel
Level 2.2: Froyo

E-FOTA works next to an existing MDM solution, so yes it will work with your MDM as well. When enrolling new devices, make sure to have a Knox E-FOTA campaign assigned to them in the Knox portal. If thats done, devices will recieve E-FOTA automaticly, you don't need to push an app or permissions. 

When deploying E-FOTA to existing hardware without resetting them, you have to push the app and set some permissions (if possible, use the Knox Service plugin for setting FOTA permissions: https://docs.samsungknox.com/admin/knox-platform-for-enterprise/knox-service-plugin/get-started/mini...)

E-FOTA is developed by Samsung, all tough they share some API's with other vendors they do not share all of them. E-FOTA is such a that only works via their portal, the API it utilizes is not available for others.