Device doesn't show factory reset message (2 hours) after signing configuration in Zero Touch Portal

fearsilva
Level 1.6: Donut

We have some devices registered on the Zero Touch portal that belong to the organization, and whenever we signed up for an enrollment configuration, since this device was not configured in our EMM, it would request a factory reset with a message saying that the device belonged to organization X and would be formatted within 2 hours. But that stopped working. Does anyone know if anything has changed in the Zero Touch portal's ownership policy?

6 REPLIES 6

jeremy
Level 2.3: Gingerbread

Are those devices assigned to an MDM server in your zero touch portal?

Jeremy

fearsilva

Yes, EMM DPC I'm using Ms. Intune.

Once I format the device manually, the enrollment with my Intune works normally, only the factory auto reset is not working for devices that do not have the company configuration after I sign a configuration profile. An important detail is that it was working normally until last month. Now I have to format every device I subscribe to manually.

fearsilva

Yes, Ms Intune. Once I format the device manually, the enrollment with my Intune works normally, only the factory auto reset is not working for devices that do not have the company configuration after I sign a configuration profile. An important detail is that it was working normally until last month. Now I have to format every device I subscribe to manually.

mistermatt87

Hi @fearsilva ,
We have the same issue on our end as well.
Did you find a solution to resolve this issue ?

Thanks

fearsilva

hi @mistermatt87  I received this information directly from Google:

Scenario 1: Device that is already in use and has not yet been added to zero-touch
If the customer assigns an EMM configuration to this device, it will not receive any notification that it is a corporate device that needs to be reset.
If the device undergoes a reset, it will automatically follow the zero-touch flow once it has achieved connectivity.
If the user does not connect the device to a network after the reset, they will be able to configure it as a personal device (without EMM). However, as soon as the device gains connectivity, even after a long time, it will display the message that it is a corporate device and will need to be reset.

Scenario 2: New, unused device that has not yet been added to zero-touch
If the device is added to zero-touch but no EMM configuration is assigned to it, when it is turned on for the first time and gains connectivity, the zero-touch flow will NOT start.
When the client assigns an EMM configuration to the device, it will not display the message that it is a corporate device that needs to be reset. In this case, you would first need to manually reset the device for it to then follow the zero-touch flow once it gains connectivity.

In a nutshell:
- Enrolling a device that is already in use in zero-touch does not cause the user of that device to receive the corporate device notification with the reset order.
- Enrolling a device in zero-touch but not assigning it an EMM configuration will cause the same behavior as a device that is not enrolled in zero-touch.
- After enrolling a device that is already in use in zero-touch and assigning an EMM configuration to it, you will need to force a reset on it so that it follows the zero-touch flow.

Hi @fearsilva 
Thanks for your comment.
It's very strange, it does not look the behaviour I had before.
I have also open a ticket to Google. Waiting their feedback. I'll let you know.

On some of my test device, I finally got the reset notif after more than 24 hours (before I got it after 10/20minutes, for devices doing offline setup, or device for which ZT config is added for a device already in use). So I wonder if there is some issues ongoing on ZT backend.