Factory reset notice after enrolling device

Leo
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Lizzie, is there a known reason for this to still be occurring?

EDIT: sorry just realised this was specific to the Play store not updating, BUT this article is getting referenced elsewhere as the reason for GZT having issues which then cause the device to reset.  So what I'm actually asking is whether there are any other known reasons for GZT continuing to have this issue even though the Play store update issue has been fixed.

Samsung A Series Devices

Android v14

Work Managed

GZT > WS1 MDM

Play store version is up to date on 42.xx

Enrolment completes, then shortly after we get the GZT warning it needs to reset.

Screenshot_20240802_084358_Google Play services.jpg

*[Post moved to create a new topic - title updated]

9 REPLIES 9

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello @Leo,

Lovely to meet you and welcome to the Customer Community. I hope you don't mind, I've moved your question here out of the original service announcement post, as I think it will make it easier for other to comment. If you would like a different title just let me know, I'm happy to update.

Regarding your question, I've heard that this would appear if the device was not connected to WiFi during setup and is then connected after setup. Can I check if this might have been the case here? Then we can rule it out. 

If this isn't applicable, we might need a bug report / video to see what is happening during enrollment. Would this be possible to provide? If so, you could send this to me via the community direct message inbox or via your EMM - happy to provide more details on this. 

Plus, if others have any more thoughts on this, please do chime in, it would be great to hear from you. 

Thanks so much, hope to speak with you soon. 

Lizzie

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

Leo

Thanks for the reply Lizzie,

Yeah that could be the case (not enrolled over wi-fi etc), but I didn't realise this was in any way a pre-requisite.

Can you not enrol a GZT registered device into your MDM/EMM over LTE/mobile network?

If that's not a valid enrolment path when using GZT, then it could cause us lots of issues, as users don't always have access to a good wi-fi network when the device is enrolled.  In Australia, we have lots of variation with network bandwidth/capacity/availability, whereby some places might have better LTE than fixed line, and vice versa.

I'm sure this wasn't the case when we first setup GZT around 12-18 months ago, did something change?

Thanks, Leo

Leo

@Lizzie are you able to confirm on the wi-fi point please?

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hey @Leo,

Thanks for the nudge on this, I'm not sure how I missed your comment. 

Sorry for the confusion here, WIFI or mobile data in general is fine, it just needs to be connected to the internet during setup and so if it isn't and then connects after setup we have seen this notification in the past. 

It sounds unlikely that this is the case, so a bug report / screen recording of the process would be a great help here.  As I say you could send this via your EMM or you can send it to me via the Community Inbox. Happy to provide more information if you need help with this. 

Once again sorry for the delay, hopefully we can get more insight into what's happening. 

Speak soon.

Lizzie

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

Leo

@Lizzie ok thanks for confirming, that sounds inline with what I was thinking from previous testing we completed before adopting GZT.

However, when you say screen recording and/or bug report, at which point would this be required?  As all the important stuff happens during enrolment where we have no ability to do either (device not usable while being enrolled).

After this, the device is enrolled, but nothing of interest is happening.

Then seemingly randomly a device might hit this issue, but we have no way of knowing when/why in order to prepare for it.

What I would like to suggest for a future improvement, is some form of logging from the GZT admin console.  Currently there's no logging we can check to try and troubleshoot what GZT is actually doing behind the scenes.  If there was, then maybe we could see what happened for a particular device etc...

Regards, Leo

Leo

@Lizzie 

I think I might have found our answer (although the description is not quite the same).

https://docs.samsungknox.com/admin/knox-platform-for-enterprise/kbas/kba-1120-unable-to-enroll-devic...

Similarities are:

Devices getting the reset prompt are A54's.

These devices are on ONE UI 6.0.

Differences are:

Google Play Services are already above v23.34.14 (24.31.37 (190400-662270918))

The devices do enrol into our MDM via GZT ok.  It's after being enrolled they are prompted to reset.

Still, I think this has to be it, as when we enrol them a 2nd time, they appear to be fine, which is maybe because out of the box they are on v23.xxx, but then when completing enrolment this is likely getting updated before we are able to check the version.

Then 2nd time enrolment, no issue because its above 23.xxx.

Michel
Level 2.2: Froyo

Is there a specific reason for having the devices on One ui 6.0 instead of 6.1? 

6.1 has been released a few months ago so i'm assuming you haven't installed the updates in between either. Might be worth updating a device and see how it performs. 

Here is an overview of the available updates for the A54 (regular version) Notify Update (samsungmobile.com)

Leo

Well they're coming out of box like this @Michel , as we don't have any control over exactly what the stock from our resellers has on them.  The stock was likely from Samsung from a while back, then it sits somewhere for a while etc.. etc..

Our enrolment process is still done by IT teams, but is run pretty lean, so doesn't include applying updates before sending devices out.  But of course if we'd known about this gotcha with these models then we could have taken some action to avoid it.

Leo

Although it does appear Google's server side fix isn't working then...

"As of January 22nd, 2024, Google has implemented a server-side update to temporarily resolve this issue"