Provisioning a Android 11 device intended to be in Kiosk Mode

SAGAR96
Level 1.6: Donut

So I have these android 11 tablet devices with no camera and no nfc and I am trying to enroll the device under 

android management so we can push the singular app we need via managed google play and silently update said device when needed .

1) Do I have to provision the device under fully managed in order to use it in kiosk mode?

2) How do I do this with no camera or NFC?

7 REPLIES 7

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Hi,

do you use a MDM (Mobile Device Management) software (like Intune, Mobicontrol,...)?

If not, you need todo this to provision such features instead of setting each device up manually.

When in place, you can enroll DPC identifier (afw#XXX) or using the Zero-Touch-Portal (all require a internet connection) to provide the link to the MDM which then provides the relevant settings made by you in the MDM.

Some manufacturers also provide some additional setup possibilitys (like Zebra), so may i ask you which devices you are using?

Edit: I missed the possibility to enroll via a managed account but @jasonbayton has done some kind of nice overview here: https://www.androidenterprise.community/t5/admin-resources/understanding-android-enterprise-fully-ma...

jasonbayton

Yup check out my link @Moombas shared above. 

I will flag up however, CDD doesn't mandate those items for Play Protect Certification (GMS) but it's quite unusual to see a device without the camera. Are these devices from a known brand with a valid certified build of Android on them? If no, Android Enterprise isn't officially supported.

Use my FAQ here to validate if you'd like guidance on doing so: https://bayton.org/android/android-enterprise-faq/view-all-certified-devices/

SAGAR96
Level 1.6: Donut

Its custom hardware we are getting made overseas

jasonbayton

Ok, so the question still stands on whether they're certified or not. I've made custom hardware and had it certified so that in itself isn't a problem.

what is the exact certification I need to ask them for?

jasonbayton

GMS. It's the certification that allows your devices to run Google apps

Moombas

Then I'm pretty sure you will have trouble using any kind of MDM (not sure if it will work in any case) because your custom devices are not Enterprise recommended.

As you decided to go with such custom devices, you have to do a big test if you look for an MDM and can only choose managed account or DPC identifier to enroll them.