For EDLA device, is android version update a MUST?

youying
Level 1.6: Donut

Hello there,

We want to apply for EDLA certificate, here comes a question about the Android version update.

If we pass EDLA with Android 14, should we give another update to Android 15 for the next year or next 2 years?

Or we can just keep Android 14.

Thanks for your time. 

5 REPLIES 5

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello @youying,

Welcome to the Community. 

I wonder if you have seen this community reply by @jasonbayton, here? I know this isn't the exact question you have but the article included my be useful. 

(@jasonbayton, mentioning you here in case if you wanted to add anything here - thanks)

Thanks,

Lizzie

I'm currently away from the Community on holiday, read more here.

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

youying
Level 1.6: Donut

Hello Lizzie

Thanks for the information, I've read the blog by jasonbayton.

I think I can stay at Android 14, just keep security patch until the certification expires.

Regards

jasonbayton
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

The EDLA expires on versions just as GMS does, only the period of time until this happens is longer than GMS. 

Ultimately it comes down to how long you want that support the device in the market. If you stay on 14 beyond the version LR expiry (~3 years) you'll have to continue to push security updates yourself after Google backporting ends for 14.

Security update commitments don't change, after all

Hello Jasonbayton

Thanks for your reply, may I know what version LR means?

Regards

jasonbayton
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Apologies, launch release - the major Android version (as opposed to MR or SMR, small updates to the same android version in-life)