Is there any way to disable Google Play Protect (GPP) from an EMM or to otherwise whitelist apps from scanning?

mattdermody
Level 2.0: Eclair

I am very concerned about the Enhanced GPP features coming soon that are currently being piloted in other regions.

https://security.googleblog.com/2023/10/enhanced-google-play-protect-real-time.html

This is not a welcome feature whatsoever for the fully managed space where we have business apps written internally that are being installed on business devices, owned by that business. In no way do we want Google sitting in between deciding whether a very legitimate app written internally for an organization should be installed on devices that are purchased and owned by the same organization on fully managed devices. I would like a way to disable GPP completely, or at a minimum whitelist applications from scanning as we don't want Google interfering in the business operations. 

GPP is a helpful consumer protection features but fully managed devices should have the ability to be opted in or out of the program. Otherwise GPP can incorrectly flag a mission critical app and disable or remove it from a device, thereby bringing down a line-of-business application and an end customers operations. While the intentions of GPP are good, by blocking business apps Google themselves is becoming the malicious actor that GPP is ironically trying. to prevent. 

30 REPLIES 30

karam
Level 1.6: Donut

Could just be ignorance on my part, for which I apologise, but the frustration arose when I could see an option (blue slider button style) to turn off GPP from its settings and a pop up asking whether to turn off or cancel would come up, but even if I clicked on the turn off option it just wouldn't actually do it - not even any error message to say why. What's the point of showing it as a changeable setting when it can't change was the frustration. As others have said, no problem if you want to have protection for apps through the Google Play channel, but for various reasons it is often the case where Android is used to implement a dedicated device that you don't want the risk of application instability (or becoming vapour ware) due to some unsolicited intervention

RickB
Level 1.6: Donut

This is happening to most of our enterprise apps, and Google is not at all helpful in discovering why. Regardless, enterprise apps should not be subject to Google's paranoia. All it is doing is causing enterprises like my own to have to turn the feature off, because of the numerous false positives.

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Thanks @karam and @RickB for sharing a bit more detail.

I am interested to dig a little deeper into this, and I'm sorry if you haven't had much luck providing this feedback before. RichB you mention that this is happening with most of your enterprise apps, so potentially there is a common theme among them that is failing and it sounds like the notification/information provided doesn't help much to troubleshoot why this is happening? Do you think that better information/guidance at this point or before you make them available to end-users would potentially help here? 

Thanks again,

Lizzie

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

Yes. The ideal state would be having GPP enabled for device wide app scanning but with the option of being able to configure specific Bundle IDs to be whitelisted or ignored by GPP. Enterprises do not agree with the value that Google thinks that they're providing by scanning their enterprise apps for outdated libraries or other vulnerabilities because the action taken by GPP (disabling or removing these apps that it deems to be unsafe) is ultimately more disruptive to the business operations than the possibility of the vulnerability being exposed. It is nice to have GPP for generic app scanning but please provide a mechanism to allow enterprises to whitelist their own apps from scanning or interference. Without that enterprises are left disabling GPP completely, and in some cases Google Play services completely. Many of the enterprises I help support and manage are increasingly concerned by the controls that Google is implementing in the name of "security" and many have commented that they no longer feel like they own the devices that they've purchased since Google seems to have more control over their devices than they do. Google will ultimately force these enterprises down alternative paths if proper care isn't taken by Google to provide better configurable control over the constantly increased restrictions. 

JamesKnight
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Hi Lizzie. Thanks for responding.

My experience relates to an in-house app and, therefore, something which Google won't have (and don't need to have) knowledge of. 

I appreciate Google's desire to protect consumers and I have no problem with GPP scanning apps downloaded from the Play Store (or other sources) when the device is not managed within a corporate environment.

However, Google should absolutely not be dictating - or even influencing - whether or not to allow a company's own app to be installed on devices which it owns and manages.

Our app is developed internally, exclusively for our own use. It is not available on the Play store (or any other store) and is installed via an MDM solution (Soti MobiControl). Under those circumstances, GPP should have no role, at all,  and we should be allowed to have control over our own devices and make our own decisions on risk.

MDM solutions should be able to switch off GPP on company-managed devices, either globally or on an app-by-app basis.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

👏👏👏☝️☝️☝️

Spot on.