Missing Apps in managed Play Store

TomMuc
Level 1.6: Donut

We are enrolling devices as corporate-owned with work profile, as well as fully managed devices without work profile. All devices receive a device-based Google-Account via EMM registration on enrollment. Our EMM is Workspace One.

The issue started around the end of July. On a few devices many approved apps didn't show up at the frontage catalog in the managed Play Store. The missing apps could still be found via search. After delete app-data for the Play Store the missing apps reappeared.

Now a month later the issues seems to be getting worse. The issue is happening on nearly every device. Some devices are even unable to find the missing apps via search, even though they are assigned for that app. Deleting app-data for the Play Store does no longer bring back the missing apps. Even waiting for 24h or longer changes nothing.

Sending an install command for a missing app from the EMM console to the devices installs the app without issues but still does not add it to the managed Play Store.

Regarding devices, we are mainly using Samsung A-Series with latest patches. I also tested on a Fairphone 4 with Android 12 (August 2023 Patch) and Google Play system update of August 2022 which has the same issue and a Pixel 6a.

There were no changes in our environment since that time. The only thing that changed is the security patch level for the devices and the Google Play Services.

We are not sure if this is an issue with the devices OS, with the EMM or if Google is having troubles on their side.

Can someone relate to this issue or know if and how this can be seen in Android Logcat or maybe other logs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hey @TomMuc,

Just wanted to update you and everyone viewing this post, I've just posted a service announcement on work apps, take a look here for the latest update. 

Please keep me posted if anything changes.

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

I'm currently away from the Community on holiday, read more here.

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jasonbayton
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Unfortunately I think this'll likely be an issue that requires escalating through the EMM, do you have a support ticket open there?

Out of interest, do you have App Collections enabled in your environment set up through the Google Play iFrame? I'd assume no, but figure it's worth ruling out.

Logcat/device logs aren't likely to show this, we'd need Google Play Store specific debugging. @Lizzie , @ReeceK do we have an ADB command that puts the Store into verbose that could be used to try to capture anything there?

We have now opened a ticket with VMware as the issue happens with our on-prem as well as cloud environment of Workspace ONE.

We have both, one environment with App Collection and one without. The issue happens in both cases.

suy
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Good

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Thanks @jasonbayton for the mention, we'll have a look and come back on this. 

@matsm I know you have had a similar difficulty with apps displaying on your devices, does the above follow a similar line to what you are experiencing? 

matsm
Level 2.0: Eclair

I have a similar issue with our deployment.

Apps does not appear in the Managed Google Play Store, but I can still search for them.

I use Intune EMM and have lodged a ticket with them, Microsoft support have confirmed that they have heard from other customers that have the same issue so they are continuing to investigate. If other EMM providers are having the same issue one has to ask if the issues is on Googles end

Moombas

In our MDM (Mobicontrol) all works fine and as expected regarding that. All apps assigned are provided and installing fine (excluding single issuing devices which are very few).

jasonbayton

I'd bet a steak dinner it's very much Google's end, hopefully the team here can confirm someone's looking into it

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hey @TomMuc,

Just wanted to update you and everyone viewing this post, I've just posted a service announcement on work apps, take a look here for the latest update. 

Please keep me posted if anything changes.

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

suy
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Hello thank you