Pre install Android updates on Samsung (COPE) devices

Paulie
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Hello all,

I am new to the forum so hopefully I posted in the right location. I have a question about Samsung devices (ex. A22, A53, etc.) in a business scenario of a healthcare provider. When a new (COPE) device gets ordered the devices comes preinstalled with an Android version, the device goes in stock and a few months later an user needs a new one. We would like to preinstall periodically the latest version so that the rollout/handoff of the new device takes less time.

Current scenario is that the user comes, we take a phone out of our stock, during the OOBE setup you first have to login with a Google or Samsung account before updates get installed. The installation of updates sometimes takes over an hour during this time the user has to wait, or they have to come back.

We also have lots of iPhones and we update them with a MacBook. We are looking for a simular solution but I cannot think of one, so I thought lets ask others. Maybe someone has a brilliant idea.

PS. I have managed Windows and Intune for years but lately I am also supporting mobile devices. So if I make a noob comment please correct me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michel
Level 2.2: Froyo

Samsung has tooling available to do just that, with a limit of 4 devices each time. But I believe it is only for Samsung business partners (Resellers, distri's, MSP partners). Its different tooling than Odin mentioned bij Moombas. 

My best bet would be to get in contact with a samsung sales representative (they have dedicated account managers for the healthcare sector in some EU countries). They should be able to check if you can have access to this tool. 

Besides the option @Moombas mentioned, there are a few extra options:

• Search for a reseller that provides such services (I'm working for one so I know they exist haha 😂)
  • Look for ways to shrink your stock where possible, to make sure devices are not on the shelf for months. Keep in mind that battery life may decrease in this period as well. 
  • Use E-FOTA to control firmware versions and check your MDM configuration. I have a lot of healthcare customers with Samsung hardware and haven't had issues with customers not being able to use their devices due to many updates being installed. Even when they are on shelves for months. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

In my opinion you have 2 possibilities:

1. Reach out to Samsung if there's something like an official flash Tool which may work way faster than FOTA download. (We for example do this for Motorola devices where flashing takes ~ 5-7 minutes, after first time downloading the flash file instead of 30 mins +). But the only one i know is Samsung Odin but requires the firmware which is (afaik) not official available anywhere.

2. Prepare a stock of devices to latest firmware already before customer jumps in, so you maybe only need to flash 1 or 2 SP and can prepare devices in beforehand.

Michel
Level 2.2: Froyo

Samsung has tooling available to do just that, with a limit of 4 devices each time. But I believe it is only for Samsung business partners (Resellers, distri's, MSP partners). Its different tooling than Odin mentioned bij Moombas. 

My best bet would be to get in contact with a samsung sales representative (they have dedicated account managers for the healthcare sector in some EU countries). They should be able to check if you can have access to this tool. 

Besides the option @Moombas mentioned, there are a few extra options:

• Search for a reseller that provides such services (I'm working for one so I know they exist haha 😂)
  • Look for ways to shrink your stock where possible, to make sure devices are not on the shelf for months. Keep in mind that battery life may decrease in this period as well. 
  • Use E-FOTA to control firmware versions and check your MDM configuration. I have a lot of healthcare customers with Samsung hardware and haven't had issues with customers not being able to use their devices due to many updates being installed. Even when they are on shelves for months.