Stop factor data reset after deleting device from android managment device delete api

PriyanshKasera
Level 1.5: Cupcake

I have enrolled a fully managed device using the Android Management API. However, when I delete the device from my enterprise using the enterprise.device.delete API, it factory resets the data. I want to preserve the user's data instead of performing a factory reset. I also tried creating a personal use device, but then it didn't allow me to launch an app in KIOSK mode. I want both features: running an app in KIOSK mode and preserving the data when I delete the device. I'm not sure how to achieve this.

4 REPLIES 4

jasonbayton
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Hey,

You can't. Severing the tie to an enterprise instructs the device to wipe. There's really no scenario where putting the device in a locked down state and then disowning it makes sense long-term. 

If you're just trying to set up a device in a certain way, try app pinning on an unmanaged device, or build DPC functionality into the kiosk itself, and have it set itself to DO. 

So what do I have to do if I don't want to factory reset the device? Can I do it without creating my own DPC and use google DPC for this?

jasonbayton
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

I'm afraid, again, you cannot.

I can't do this with a Personal Owned Device ?
I have seen that an application is using its own DPC app to remove the device without rebooting and also able to lock the device. I want to achieve the same thing, but I'm not sure what to do. Can you guide me? I've been stuck on this for weeks.