Where to enable the option to add a work profile to a device

Stefan
Level 1.5: Cupcake

I'm currently developing an android app for my employer. I need to enroll the device for the device owner property. I tried enrolling it but the error message i get is:

Can't set up work profile

Your IT admin doesn't allow a work profile on this device.

However i have all rights but can't find the option to enable it, or i don't know what exactly to do.

Edit: I have an Samsung Galaxy Tab Active2 with Android 9 and One UI version 1.1

Appretiate every comment!

3 REPLIES 3

jasonbayton
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Hi Stefan, 

You don't mention the EMM, but it sounds like you may be using an enrolment token without personal use enabled.

That said, if you're working with device owner, you wouldn't look to set up a work profile anyway, as that is profile owner territory. 

For device owner enrolment, reset the device to factory settings, tap 6 times on the welcome screen to invoke QR code setup, and scan the QR code the EMM generates for enrolment.

If you have other/differing expectations, please elaborate on your request 🙂

sravanthi
Level 2.0: Eclair

Hi Jason,

I am working on a MDM application which is a Device admin app, Now I am trying to move it to Device Owner. I used Android Management API and generated Enrolment Token. I have uploaded my APK in  S3 bucket and given that downloadable link In QR code Json.  After factory reset, I am clicking 6 times on the screen and scanning the QR code, after connecting to WIFI, it says "Device belongs to your organization" . When I click on Next button, I an getting a popup saying that "CAN"T SETUP DEVICE, CONTACT YOUR IT ADMIN FOR HELP". How to fix this. what all things I need to handle in my android code. How will my app get downloading when scanned the QR code. Here is my Json for QR code. 

{
"android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_DEVICE_ADMIN_COMPONENT_NAME": "com.android.client/com.android.utils.AdminReceiver",
"android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_DEVICE_ADMIN_PACKAGE_CHECKSUM": "checksum generated from dowloaded APK",
"android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_DEVICE_ADMIN_PACKAGE_DOWNLOAD_LOCATION": "https://android-android.s3.eu-1.amazonaws.com/Android-74.apk",
"android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_ADMIN_EXTRAS_BUNDLE": {
"com.google.android.apps.work.clouddpc.EXTRA_ENROLLMENT_TOKEN": "YLEHSBDKDBDWTJESJGOLAFKN"
}
}

Hoping you will help me resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Hi @sravanthi

your post here doesn't seem to have anything to do with this topic here.

@Stefan, not sure if @jasonbayton already covered your issue but the error message looks like you are trying to add a work profile on a fully managed device or COPE. That's not possible.

Work profile needs to be set up on a consumer device which has already a private account on it etc. and then add the work profile (there are different ways to do it, dependent on the MDM).