Android Enterprise work profile does not support wearOS yet

Anthony
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Hi,

We recently moved to android enterprise with work profile (using Intune) for all of our android users. 

And we just found out that with android enterprise with work profile does not support wearOS yet so that our users cannot add their corporate email account (O365) to the outlook app on their samsung watch or pixel watch.

we tried to contact microsoft about this and microsoft said that this is not up to Microsoft but it is up to Google Android whether they would like to support wearOS for work profile. Can Google confirm if they would like to provide some support for work profile in the future for wearOS as well? I know that any development of newly feature in android system are fully confidential but it would be good for android end users to know if Google has a plan to support this in the future or not.

6 REPLIES 6

Anthony

PS. when you connect outlook companion apps in the pixel watch, it will just forward outlook notification to your watch. it does not the same as adding email account onto your Outlook app in your android watch wearOS.

ReeceK
Former Community Manager
Hello @Anthony ,

Firstly, welcome to the community!

Out of curiosity, what wearable device do you own? I'm considering a purchase myself this year.

Regarding your question, while we can't disclose details of future development plans, for updates on Wear OS and Android Enterprise I recommend keeping an eye on the official Android Enterprise page or checking this community for the latest news.

As for your last question, are you saying you aren't able to get updates on your inbox and outbox? From my understanding, connecting Outlook companion apps will only forward notifications to your watch. At the moment, this is the only way to stay informed about new emails on Wear OS devices.

Thanks, Reece

Alex_Muc
Level 2.2: Froyo

Last year I was at the Samsung Mobile Business Summit in Germany. There, a company presented a modern version of home emergency calls. A home emergency call is an emergency call solution for elderly people who can call the emergency services immediately in an emergency. However, people are often unhappy using such solutions because they feel like a electronic ankle bracelet.
The company rents out smartwatches (including Samsung Watches with wearOS) and manages them centrally. This is a more modern solution that is much better accepted.

In principle, it would currently be possible to manage smartwatches, but these are likely to be OEM-specific features right now. Samsung smartwatches, for example, can be managed with Knox Manage: https://docs.samsungknox.com/admin/knox-manage/configure/profile/configure-profile-policies/wear-os-...

Wearables are usually used in companion mode with a smartphone. I would assume that there will be no standardized and comprehensive management solution for standalone wearable in the near future due to low demand.

Anthony

@ReeceK 

i have samsung watch 5 and pixel watch 2. at the moment, with Outlook companion it only forward the notification. 

It would be nice for Google to make wearOS to support work profile Android Enterprise so we can add our office enterprise email to the Outlook app in the wearOS (the watches). 

ReeceK
Former Community Manager
Hey @Anthony ,

Thanks for your reply.

Great watches, by the way! Do you primarily use them for work?

I appreciate the feedback. I'll make sure to note this and bring it up in relevant discussions.

Thanks again.
Reece

Anthony

@ReeceK is there any update if google wearOS going to support work profile?