How to Use Managed Google Play Apps with Intune on a unmanaged Android device ?.

govi
Level 2.0: Eclair

Hi, Greetings to all.

Have you tried the possibility of displaying and installing the Managed google play work apps(Public apps, iframe LOB APPS, iframe Weblink) for an UN-MANAGED Device in an Intune Comp portal situation ?. If so please share your experience and success rate for an LOB Apps workflow.

Regards, Govi

11 REPLIES 11

jasonbayton
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

I'm going to be honest, I've not seen a MAM use case the way you're describing.

@Michael any thoughts?

govi

Hi Jason, thanks for your response. I can understand that "Managed Google account" is mandatory to access the Managed google play. I read this interesting topic in this forum Use Managed Google Play with Intune on a unmanaged Android device – Cloud First (osddeployment.dk). Hence trying to clarify with expert opinion.

govi_0-1688722260946.png

Moombas

But why don't you just use a work profile (don't mix up with fully managed!) on the private device?
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/user-help/enroll-device-android-work-profile

jasonbayton

That's interesting indeed. In particular how it doesn't actually appear to have a provisioned managed Google Play account on the device, but still appears to pull down apps. 

I'll look into this 🙂

govi

thankyou and eagerly waiting for your feedback. 🙂 

jasonbayton

I return with news since Mike hasn't chimed in yet 🙂

Did some testing and it does actually appear to be a supported use case, if not one the Google team advertise or talk about. 

There is a managed Google Play account provisioned, and it does indeed provide access to the apps in managed Play.

Caveats appear to be - 

• No local admin
  • No silent install/removal
  • Limited reporting

Which I suppose is also MAM in general. 

I wouldn't count on this being supported by Google longer term since there's basically nothing about it.. but it could do the job for you today 🙂

govi

Thanks for your feedback and sharing your expert views. Any possibility to share an screenshot or a video ?. 

jasonbayton

Nothing that isn't shown in the link to the article you shared originally, no.

govi

It's ok. The original link has only the limited (1 screenshot). Thanks for testing.

stojanovicm445
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Install win 10,11,12 launcher 😁

Moombas

@govi : That doesn't make sense. I think you should look for a COPE (if device is owned by your company) or BYOD deployment.