[Poll] Was your first Android device for personal or work use?

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello everyone,

I hope you are doing well.

As a good way to kickstart our conversation in the community, I thought a poll on Android would be fun!

Think back to when you first started using an Android device, perhaps this was many years ago, perhaps only a few weeks and select below whether this is for personal use, work use or both. Alternatively, if you don't currently use an Android device and you are interested you can also take part. After a good amount of time I'll share the results.

Please select your choice in the poll below. Also, to add a bit of detail about the device, just click 'reply' and add a comment.

Looking forward to seeing your responses. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

I'm currently away from the Community on holiday, read more here.

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

8 REPLIES 8

jasonbayton
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Oooooh this is going to have a heavy regional sway I think! EU regions are going to be far more leaning towards Android than US IMO!

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Oo I wish I had captured location on the poll @jasonbayton. We should do a follow-up poll on this at a later stage. 😀

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

As promised here are what the results are looking like so far (please do continue to take part if you haven't already):

Lizzie_0-1687883757037.pngCurrently it looks like we are leaning towards having an Android device for personal use first which is interesting. 

What do you think of this? Is it what you were expecting? Also, if you filled out the poll can I ask you to share in the comments here what your first Android device was? We can take a trip together down memory lane! 

jasonbayton

I think it's reasonable given Android hit consumers before it became a staple in work.. though I suppose it depends on age and location also. When I think back to my first Androids a lot of businesses were still Blackberry and alternative operating systems. 

My first Android device was a G1, but I also had a HTC Wizard; it launched with Windows Mobile but the community generated flashable builds to move to Android and with a much better keyboard than the G1 it was a great unit. 

jasonbayton

Oh not a Wizard, I mean I had one of those too, but it was a TyTN II that got a decent community build of Android. I loved that thing with the slide-out keyboard. I miss those form factors 🙂

Kristen
Level 1.6: Donut

Considering I had my first computer by the time I was 5, I think it's safe to say personal use!

Moombas

Yes and no i would say 😉
I mean if you look on "already existing" technologies or those which were made for consumer first, i agree but looking at technologies made for enterprise first (like the computer) i think it very depends on the age as @jasonbayton wrote because then many people get in touch by work first until it reaches customers and then it slowly switches to private first because it's becoming an already existing" technology.

jasonbayton

Areas of mainland Europe are Android-dominant and have been for several years now so I'd definitely expect younger gens who join here from there to say Android personal. The US and other iOS dominated regions for many age-groups will likely have only interacted with Android as a "cheap" company phone or dedicated device (Walmart, etc). 

This question has potential for a wide gamut of response 🙂