Intune COPE Device - Google Calendar crashes

danikr
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Hello everyone,
We have the problem that when I want to make the Google Calendar app available on a COPE device, it crashes after the welcome screen with the message "action not allowed".
On Work Profile Only/BYOD it works without any problems.

Are you aware of this problem?
Could this be related to Intune automatically/default blocking the Google accounts in COPE?

Thanks,

Regards,

Daniel

16 REPLIES 16

ReeceK
Former Community Manager

Hi @danikr 

How are you? 😊

Interesting one, it sounds like Intune's security policies or app configuration settings are potentially interfering with the Google Calendar app. Have you tested this on other devices?. 

Thanks

Reece. 

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Hi danikr, are you working together with w4lter?

He posted the exactly same question right before.

So I will add my comment from there here as well:

I have a device (fully managed, not cope) where we also don't allow Google account to be added.

The calendar works fine using the locally logged in O365 (non Google) account instead without adding or requesting for a Google account.

But i don't have COPE devices available right now but would wonder why (as they are more open)  they would act different. I assume the biggest difference here is that Intune may act different than our MDM reg. permissions. Not the first time we see this here.

danikr

Hi @Moombas 

Don't work with him, but we know each other.

danikr

Hi @ReeceK 

i have tested with Work Profile Only - working,

i have tested with COPE without app config and without App Protection Policy - not working

i have tested with COPE without device restriction - not working

but have not yet tested it with Fully Managed

it seems that the default settings of intune prevent this, with other calendar apps is working.

Moombas

Just because of my testing procedure:
Did you test to login to Outlook (or Teams or Microsoft 365) before (with the relevant MS account) and then run Google calendar to be able to choose that account for it?

I ask because if i choose there "add account" i get an error message as well (because of restrictions) but if i choose the already logged in "non-google" account on this device i can just activate it.

Moombas_2-1721126459531.png

Moombas_1-1721126396503.png

Maybe this could help.

danikr

Yes, i logged in MS Outlook before first open the google calendar app - not working,

also tried switch on contact sync in ms outlook app and new install the calendar app - not working,

Error-intune-google calendar app-cope.jpg

danikr

Have also tried with Fully Managed - working,

Behaviour as described by you @Moombas 

w4lter
Level 1.6: Donut

@Moombas @ReeceK 

any idea how we could address this to microsoft? any chance to get logs from google calendar itself? i want to start making pressure in direction of microsoft to fix this asap.

Moombas

The problem you may run into with MS is, that they point to Google as they are the provider of the calendar app but you may need to get both together. I would at least recommend to you to raise a ticket at MS and maybe ask @ReeceK or @Lizzie if they can provide maybe some kind of internal contact to help you if MS tries to point to Google.

Btw.: Why not just using the calendar function already integrated in Outlook?

w4lter

serval reasons...

-) people want to have a "Week" view, Outlook just provides 3-Day View (please, dont ask, you know, there are always some special ppl)

-) connect personal calendar -> work calender together -> this is it seems broken with outlook at the moment. outlook just crashes. we wanted to mitigate this with google calendar.

ReeceK
Former Community Manager

Hi @w4lter 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I agree with @Moombas suggestion to open a ticket on your end. The ticket will come with a reference number that we can use on our side if further assistance is needed.

Thanks,

Reece

w4lter

can you provide me some informations, how to open a ticket at google, especially for google calender?

i just know how to open a request regarding our android enterprise managed google play account, but for google apps i really have no idea. thanks.

Moombas

What we mean is, you create a ticket at MS and provide the ticket # (via PM) to @ReeceK or so if MS request involving Google.

w4lter

oh god, you are right - i was to fast with my response. will do that, thanks.

ReeceK
Former Community Manager

Hey @w4lter 

That's okay! No problem at all...

Feel free to come back to this post if you need further support with this. 

Thanks

Reece

w4lter

@ReeceK 

I've had contact with Samsung Enterprise Support, they did an analysis of Samsung DumpState Logging.

When there is no Google Account added to the Device, Google Calendar starts immediately the Sign-In Process for logging in into a personal Google Account - Personal Google Accounts are of course blocked on Work Profile side.

I'm pretty sure, it has of course also something to do with Intune, but is there a way to prevent the Google Sign-In Process, when there are already "local" Calendars available?

It seems, you cannot use Google Calendar without a Google Account...?