Gmail "allow_unmanaged_accounts" restriction issue

Figlovsky_K
Level 1.6: Donut
I'm trying to configure Gmail via managed configuration. I discovered that inside the apk there is a bool restriction "allow_unmanaged_accounts" (Allow Unmanaged Accounts), but it is not mentioned in the documentation (https://support.google.com/work/android/answer/7065453?sjid=7171601269613811155-EU).
Setting the value does not affect the operation of the application in any way.
I would like to understand whether this limitation is supported or not?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hi @Figlovsky_K 

Hope you are well?. 

Further to my last post, we have been looking into this issue internally for you. As a result, we have just posted a service announcement which should be able to support with the question you have.  I have attached the service announcement here

Thank you again for the question, we really appreciate your input. If you do require further support, please feel free to reach out.

Thanks,

Reece.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

In our MDM a desciption is also visible to this setting:

Moombas_1-1695985662167.png

Did you try to turn this off and if when applied (ensure this new policy setting really took place!) it's still possible to add another Exchange account to Gmail to the device manually?

Does this help you?

Thanks for the reply, I checked it.
After applying the settings, the application UI still allows you to add other accounts, including the exchange account

Figlovsky_K_0-1696250383926.png

I also made sure by calling getApplicationRestrictions  that all data was transferred correctly.
In my case ""allow_unmanaged_accounts" value has no effect. Regardless of whether it is true or false

Moombas

I never needed this setting but if you press on "Exchange and Office 365" you are really able to add/enter something or is an error message been shown then.

If you are still able to enter something i'm really interested at a response from someone from Google to clarify.

Yeah, after selecting "Exchange and Office 365" there are no errors and the account can be added without problems

Moombas

In that case maybe @Lizzie or @ReeceK can ask internally about that?

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hey @Moombas,

Hope you are well?

Thank you for bringing this to our attention; we much appreciate it. I have responded to the remark with further questions as I escalate this to internal departments.

Thanks,
Reece. 

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hey @Figlovsky_K 

Thank you for your question 😊 

Since I'm just getting acquainted with the issue, would you mind providing me with some more information on the matter? I want to ensure I have all the necessary details to assist you effectively.
Also, could you verify the version of the Gmail app currently installed on your device?

Looking forward to helping you further with this.
Reece

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hi @Figlovsky_K 

Hope you are well?. 

Further to my last post, we have been looking into this issue internally for you. As a result, we have just posted a service announcement which should be able to support with the question you have.  I have attached the service announcement here

Thank you again for the question, we really appreciate your input. If you do require further support, please feel free to reach out.

Thanks,

Reece.

Hi Reece,

Thank you for your help, I will monitor the status of the announcement.

In my case, the problem occurs on the version "2023.09.17.567125956.Release". If you need any more information about the problem, I will be happy to help 🙂

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hey @Figlovsky_K 

Thank you again for providing this information. Its been very helpful.‌ 😊

I will also return to this post once I receive an update to ensure that the issue has been rectified on your end. 

Thanks,
Reece.

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hey @Figlovsky_K 

Good news! 

I'm pleased to inform you that the Gmail managedconfig issue has been successfully resolved. Please inform us if you have noticed the resolution on your end.

Thank you, Reece.