Android Zero-Touch not working on new Samsung devices

danieltang
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Hello,
I have new model devices Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ and Galaxy Tabe S9 FE+ and the Zero-Touche Enrollment (ZTE) is not working. Nothing happens and ZTE doesn't appear. It works with the Galaxy Tab A8 model.
Is it the issue related to Android client portal ?
Can you help me ?
Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jasonbayton
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Switching methods won't help anything really, it's not an MDM issue until after the "managed by your organisation" message in the wizard. 

It sounds like the devices haven't been registered properly by the reseller, since most other things are ruled out. 

Ask the reseller to de-register and re-register, ensuring the used identifiers are correct. If there's dual SIM support with the devices the reseller may have additional steps to take. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

jasonbayton

Hi there

Are these devices registered for zero-touch? That'll be the first thing to confirm. 

Moombas

In addition to this, check if a configuration is applied to those devices (if they are listed in the ZTP), maybe switch them to "no configuration" and then back to the needed configuration again and check (this sometimes helps).

Michel
Level 2.0: Eclair

And check if they are not added to Knox Mobile enrollment instead. If a Samsung device is enrolled and has a profile assigned in Android zero touch and in Knox Mobile enrollment, it will only listen to the profile in Knox mobile enrollment. 

danieltang

Of course they are not enrolled in Knox Mobile enrollment.

Of course the devices are added on Zero Touch Portal.

jasonbayton

Right, then confirm they have a config applied, and validate the IMEIs are correct against devices that don't function. 

danieltang

Yes, the config is applied.
I switched off the configuration and put back to the needed configuration again. No changes.
At the step "Preparing your tablet", the device management doesn't appear and the device is configured as an end user.
ZTE works on the model Samsung Galaxy Tab A8.
So is it a problem with Zero Touch Portal or with our MDM ?
Have you already successfully registered with ZTE the Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ or Galaxy Tab S9 FE+ model ?

Michel

I've had no issues with the S9 tablets, no experience with the FE series yet. 

To rule out your MDM, you could do an enrollment via the QR method assuming your MDM solution has a QR code for enrollment. 

jasonbayton

Switching methods won't help anything really, it's not an MDM issue until after the "managed by your organisation" message in the wizard. 

It sounds like the devices haven't been registered properly by the reseller, since most other things are ruled out. 

Ask the reseller to de-register and re-register, ensuring the used identifiers are correct. If there's dual SIM support with the devices the reseller may have additional steps to take. 

You are right, should have mentioned that! 

Moombas

Even its not a solution just to share that we handle our Samsung Devices via the Knox Portal instead of ZTP yet without issues so i cant say anything regarding Samsung and ZTP issues but because of the better functionality we decide to use both Systems until Google extends that to something similar. Maybe just take it into consideration.

In General your reseller should get into contact with Google via Partner community (i guess) with some sample Imeis to check whats going wrong here.

As i guess you are using same Network on both Devices (working and issuing) i will leave that out as a possible issue.

danieltang

I can enroll with another method but I prefer ZTE, it's more secure.

Moombas

Theres no secure gap between Knox and ZTP. Both do ZTE.

Moombas

Just to add this is just something i wanted to mention and not a solution. You may look into it with your reseller and also the manufacturer.

I assume you enroll them with latest firmware to ensure you get possible fixes already.

Michel

It definitely is. Did you check the solution @jasonbayton provided? 

If devices are uploaded and have a profile assigned but still not work, try removing the profile, refreshing the page and assigning the profile again. Wait a few minutes to let the servers sync and try again with your device. 

If that still does not help, i would suggest what Jason has suggested. Ask your reseller to reupload the devices. 

jasonbayton

ZT is most definitely not more secure, so there's no reason not to try KME if you're interested in doing so. KME adds the benefit of allowing you to self-upload devices you own, which Google will not add to ZT. 

How are you getting on?

The product itself isn't adding more security, but I believe the process of zero touch enrollment helps in preventing theft since devices are not usable when not enrolled in MDM successfully. 

Moombas

Which does Samsung Knox as well. both do Zero-Touch-Enrollment the same way, just different systems.